Saturday, July 14, 2012

Going Under the Knife

Well- my summer has officially begun! The first of my two scheduled surgeries happened this week and, thankfully, it went fairly well. This was my first experience being cut open so I am glad it wasn't horrible or turning around and doing it all again next week would really not be awesome!

Thankfully, my saintly roommate Katelin, loves me enough to have taken me to Riverton Hospital at 5:30 in the morning so we could be there by 6 am- great way to start off the day! We got there, I got checked in, got poked by an IV, got a really great speech from my anesthesiologist about him injecting enough lidocaine in me to stop my heart and then got wheeled to the OR in my bed which felt a little strange. My poor anesthesiologist had a real hard time getting his needle into the veins in my hand- turns out they are small. The last thing I remember is crawling from my gurney onto the operating table and then I was in recovery. The doctor said it went well. He got the cyst and the scar tissue that was surrounding it so, hopefully, in a couple of weeks, I will be able to have pain free range of motion! Cross your fingers!

Recovery hasn't been awful. Everyone has been really willing to help which I am not the best at accepting but I am trying! I have watched a lot of movies, napped a lot and, generally, tried to take it pretty easy. I had a friend tell me today that I am not going to have very many times like this in my life where people want to just take care of me so maybe I should live it up. I thought that was kind of funny- wise too I guess. So, my warm up surgery has gone well! I feel warmed up and almost ready for the next one! Here are some pictures of my experience!


Showing off my hospital gown, IV hand- post surgery, pain meds, IV pre-surgery.
The aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment